It’s important to know how to become a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ CFP® and the benefits.
“The mission of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ Board of Standards, Inc. is to benefit the public by granting the CFP® certification and upholding it as the recognized standard of excellence for competent and ethical personal financial planning.”
What is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ CFP® professional and how to Become a CFP®
To earn the right to use the CFP® marks, a CFP® professional must complete the following competency requirements:
- Education — CFP® professionals develop theoretical and practical financial planning knowledge by completing a comprehensive course of study at a college or university offering a financial planning curriculum, including over 100 educational institutions registered with the CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ Board of Standards (CFP Board).
- Examination — CFP® professionals must pass a comprehensive two-day, 10-hour CFP® Certification Examination that tests their ability to apply their financial planning knowledge in an integrated format. Based on regularly updated research of what planners do, the CFP Board’s exam covers the financial planning process, tax planning, employee benefits and retirement planning, estate planning, investment management and insurance.
- Experience — CFP® professionals must have a minimum of three years’ experience counseling clients on financial matters prior to earning the CFP® marks. As a result, CFP® professionals possess financial counseling skills in addition to their financial planning knowledge.
- Ethics — As a final step to certification, CFP® Professionals agree to abide by The CFP Board’s Practice Standards and a strict code of professional conduct, known as the CFP Board’s Code of Ethics and Professional Responsibility, that sets forth their ethical responsibilities to the public, to clients and to employers. Through the Code of Ethics, CFP® professionals agree to act fairly and diligently when they provide you with financial planning advice and services, always putting your interests first. The Code of Ethics states that CFP® professionals are to act with integrity, offering you professional services that are objective and based on your needs.
All CFP® professionals are required to provide you with information about their sources of compensation and conflicts of interest in writing. In addition, CFP® professionals must keep personal details obtained while working with you confidential.
The benefits of being a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- Being a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ CFP® puts you in a position to be recruited easier because the CFP® certification is recognized by prospective employers. It is the most desired designation in the field.
- There is a higher income potential with a CFP® certification
- It gives clients more piece of mind and garners trust.
More about the FPA of Hampton Roads:
- Career Development – Find out how membership can help develop your career as a financial planner.
- Continuing Education Credits – Learn about receiving CE credits toward your CFP®certification.
- CFP® Scholarship – The FPA of Hampton Roads rewards an annual scholarship for students pursuing their CFP® certification. Click the link to download the scholarship application.
For more information, CFP® Board’s website: www.cfp-board.org